Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Something To Believe In

There is something wildly significant about having people in our lives who believe in us. These  people inspire us to chase our dreams and run after the seemingly impossible.

I distinctly remember the first time someone said to me 'you're smart, you'll know what to do'. There was an unforgettable power in those words. It gave me strength and courage. A striking reminder of the power I had inside that was forgotten.

I was recently reminded of this power at a fundraiser for my Great Big Kid campaign. I lost count of the number of people who believed in and supported me, giving of their time and money, because I represented the Boys & Girls Club.

It's no surprise. The Club has an unbelievable culture of believing in the kids it serves. The staff believe in the kids. The kids believe in each other. It's nothing short of impressive. Especially when considering their ages. Specifically the tweens and teens...they support each other and root for one another...not a common sight these days.

I see it every time I see Alexa. Her friends in the Club are eager to help her and want to see her win. The staff is the same. Her mom and family too. And it shows.

To watch an 11 year old girl be surrounded by people who believe in her is amazing and it's life altering. For both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment